Saturday, December 5, 2015
Provisional RKS Developer Diary - It's about time...!
I'm pleased to report that my original diagnosis of the hard drive crash was spot-on; my Windows partition's file table was corrupted due to some physical damage to the hard disk, while the remaining three partitions were 100% unharmed. Naturally, I took the prudent course of action and retrieved the contents of the three partitions immediately. Once I'd confirmed that everything was properly backed up did I attempt to recover the data from the corrupted volume. Thankfully, everything went off without a hitch and not a single byte of valuable data was lost (some operating system files were kaput, but nothing important). I replaced the damaged hard drive (a 150 gig one at 5400 rpm) with a larger and faster one (320 gigs at 7200 rpm), reinstalling the essentials like my operating system, my programming environment, my graphics software, you get the idea. With that, we should have been back in business...
Thankfully, this story has a happy ending (you wouldn't be reading this entry otherwise): we finally found a candidate with both the skills and the professionalism to show up, ready to work, meaning I finally get some time to relax. I personally trained him in some of his duties earlier this week. So, after much ass-busting, I finally have some time to catch my breath and finish setting up my machine. Thankfully, the bare essentials are already installed, so we can pick up where we left off almost a month ago. Our momentum might have been killed, but our drive certainly hasn't. Time to bring ourselves back up to speed!
I'll be back in just a bit, once I've gathered the necessary screenshots for the blog post I had intended to make on November 8th. This time, we'll be having a look at the subtle changes to RKS's Status Subscreen.
See you soon!